nanog mailing list archives

Re: Market-based address allocation

From: Eric Gauthier <eric () roxanne org>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 13:56:46 -0400

      Oh... sorry, are folks really seriously wanting
      to treat integers as a marketable commodity?

Treating IP space as a commodity is no more strange than trading financial
options or other derivatives, or, for that matter, intellectual property.
Bits, numbers, and agreements all hold value outside of the context of
purely physical property.

In this context, which is more real:

        1) That highly dense, "gold"-colored bar of metal
        2) The little green pieces of paper in my wallet
        3) The ones-and-zero's that make up the balance in my checking account

IMHO, these are ordered correctly from a physical standpoint but ordered
backwards in terms of marketablility...  If you have $100's worth of gold,
a one hundred-dollar bill, and $100 in your checking/debit account - which
is the easiest to transact with?

Eric :)