nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is latency equivalent to RTT?

From: Andrew Bangs <andrewb () demon net>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 15:31:53 +0100

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 03:01:06PM +0100, Michael.Dillon () radianz com wrote:

Has it become common usage to define latency in an IP network as the round
trip time in that network?

I've always considered latency to be a one-way measure of delay and RTT to
be the sum of the latencies in both directions. When I tried to find
something to back up this view, I discovered that a number of companies
define latency as equivalent to RTT in their SLAs.

Could this be because customers believe that RTT more closely
represents a network characteristic that they (or their customers)
actually need? Perhaps they find it easier to digest like this
because they're already familiar with the concept (because someone
let them have 'ping').

--
Andrew Bangs
andrewb () demon net