nanog mailing list archives

Re: Mirapoint Message Director appliances

From: "Paul S. Brown" <pol () geekstuff co uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:19:16 +0000

On Wednesday 19 November 2003 7:00 pm, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
Paul S. Brown writes on 11/19/2003 12:38 PM:
Does anybody have any experience with the MD400/MD450 appliances?

Good/bad/indifferent

Expensive

Do they do anything I can't do myself with Sophie, Cyrus IMAP, Postfix
and SpamAssassing on a decent PC?

Would you recommend them for high volume VISP mail hosting? (around 600k
domains)

We run mail for a few more domains / users than that, but use more than
just a small PC.  We do use postfix (and qmail, and courier imap, and
rbldns, and a few other open source tools) though, not Mirapoints.

The PC I was thinking of using for this would be the same spec as the
Mirapoint boxes (dual 2.8GHz P4, 2GB RAM, Lots of U320 RAID). I also wouldn't
be using a single PC.

Just curious as to whether anybody had experience with these systems as they
appear reasonably cheap for what they do (Well, compared to MCIS/Openwave/
Nexor/Insert$PROPRIETARYMTA).

As goes users, I honestly don't know how many hide behind those domains, but
around 8-10m mails a day at present are hitting this system

P.