nanog mailing list archives

Re: Sabotage investigation of fiber cuts... [collapsed RBOC rings]

From: fkittred () gwi net
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 10:09:30 -0500

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 08:15:11 -0500  "Douglas S. Peeples" wrote:
What you describe is a folded ring and is indicative of either a =
temporary
solution or bad network design. As a rule, phone companies and capacity
suppliers build very robust systems. =20

Douglas S. Peeples
Technology Assurance Labs

Are you sure?  On or about August 5th, 2003 in Augusta, ME, while cross
examining a Verizon employee expert witness in testimony for Maine PUC
Docket 2002-243, I got him to say muliple times under oath that 90% of
Verizon's fiber rings in the state of Maine are at least partially
collapsed, what you call a folded ring...  That is, only 10% of
Verizon's fiber rings are fully redundant.[1]

I don't have any proof of this but suspect that Maine is average and
Verizon is average for a US RBOC.  I suspect that 90% of US RBOC fiber
rings are at least partially collapsed...

regards,
fletcher
[1] I Am Not A Lawyer; the above is my best recollection of the
   testimony.  Documents in regards to Docket 2002-243 are on line off
   of the Maine PUC web site (http://www.state.me.us/mpuc/homepage.htm)
   under the virtual case file (http://mpuc.informe.org.)  Search by
   docket number 2002243.  For some reason, the testimony is not there.
   I will ask a PUC lawyer why that is and see if it can be added.