nanog mailing list archives

Re: Sabotage investigation of fiber cuts in Northwest

From: Paul Timmins <paul () timmins net>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 10:23:34 -0500

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 10:07, Owen DeLong wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but, if you have the bolt cutters, I don't
see why you need the key to an adjacent lock or any of the locks.

If you want to reconnect the chain back together without replacing the
lock, you'll need a key from an adjacent lock so you can lock the lock
on the left back on the lock to the right, or vice versa.

Additionally, most of these things are in remote enough locations that
you are unlikely to be observed using the bolt cutters to gain access
to the site.  It's not like the requirement for a set of bolt cutters
is a high barrier to entry for a thug that wants into the site.

Agreed, of course, to a determined criminal, even doors and locks won't
keep him out. But at bare minimum they could at least TRY to have some
semblance of security. Actually locking things would be a start.

John is right about American Towers.  They use the same combination at
ALL of their sites and their security company will happily tell anyone
that they think should have access what the "standard" combination is.

haha. Sounds like a nice, high security operation.

-Paul