nanog mailing list archives

Re: [arin-announce] IPv4 Address Space (fwd)

From: sthaug () nethelp no
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:53:30 +0100

Yes, because IPv6 is merely and incremental improvement, not a grand
elegant solution to world hunger like ATM. Look at how we managed the
incremental step of adding MPLS to our IPv4 networks. It was fairly
painless because it uses the same boxes, the same people and the same
management systems. And over time, the pain of doing MPLS is reduced
because the bugs get worked out.

Yes, but did MPLS require different ASICs?

In some cases, yes. Cisco Catalyst 6500 with Sup2/MSFC2/PFC2 cannot
do MPLS by itself, while 6500 with Sup720 can.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug () nethelp no