nanog mailing list archives

Re: Security v. Privacy (was Re: Is there anything that actuallygets users to fix their computers?)

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 18:32:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Jamie Reid wrote:
While we were fighting blaster/nachi and others, we relied heavily on
IDS's to generate alerts for the worms, then we disabled their network
access and called them.  Generic  viruses are not an ISP's problem, but
a worm is something that affects the prviders infrastructure, and is
therefore a network operators business.

Did the users actually believe you when you told them their computer
had a worm?

How many times did you disable the same user's network access because
they didn't actually fix their computer but told you it was fixed?

But I have a really important document that has to be sent right now, and
I can't wait to fix the computer.