nanog mailing list archives

Re: CCO/cisco.com issues.

From: "Kai Schlichting" <kai () pac-rim net>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 17:39:49 -0500

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 14:01:31 -0700, Roland Dobbins wrote
Folks,

We've been handling a multi-vector DDoS - 40-byte spoofed SYN-flooding
towards www.cisco.com (198.133.219.25/32) as well as an HTTP-AUTH
resource-exhaustion attack, and working these issues with our
upstreams.  Our apologies for any inconveniences, and our thanks to
those who've assisted in tracing and blocking the spoofed traffic.

We're continuing the work the issue, and would be grateful if
operators would check for 40-byte spoofed TCP headed towards
198.133.219.25/32 and trace/block it as warranted.  Your patience and
understanding are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () cisco com> // 408.527.6376 voice

My mailbox has filled quite a bit (to the tune of a dozen-plus mails)
with comments along the lines of "don't quote me, NANOG is too important
for my work, I don't want to get on Sue Harris' bad side" since my last
so-called "off-topic" NANOG post (which all but *one* person, other than
Sue Harris, found to be "within range and reason").

The spammers,
the DDoS'ers,
the proxy scanners and rapists,
the SMTP auth crackers.
the trojan spreaders,
the DNSBL-DOS'ers,
the hardcore computer criminals
are the evil army of one?

The following well-remembered lines come to mind here, and excuse me if
you hear a slight hysterical laughter from my direction:

"First They Came for the Jews
 First they came for the Jews
 and I did not speak out
 because I was not a Jew.