nanog mailing list archives

Re: contact at yahoo mail? (they think we're an open relay :< )

From: Damian Gerow <damian () sentex net>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 17:02:23 -0400

Thus spake Mark Jeftovic (markjr () easydns com) [09/10/03 16:57]:
Today our email forwarders started getting this from yahoo.com
mail handlers:

553 Mail from 216.220.40.247 not allowed - VS99-IP1 deferred - see
help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/defer/defer-02.html (#5.7.1)
Connection closed by foreign host.

Woah.  Deja vu.

We got exactly the same thing, starting last night.  We've worked around it
by relaying mail to yahoo.com/yahoo.ca through a different mail server.

Which when you go look at that page basically tells you you're probably
an open relay (which we're not), etc.

Ditto.  The page also has some links to removal requests, which I've already
filled out.  And submitted a followup asking /why/ we were listed.  This was
about seven hours ago now, and I haven't even gotten an autoresponse from
them yet, for this note.

Can any mail admins at Yahoo contact me offlist, or post what the
restrictions are or at what levels this will kick in?

Apparently, they blacklist you at whim -- our mail server is confirmed
un-open-relay by ordb.org, and by rlytest.  And we can be blacklisted for up
to 60 days at their discretion, according to the page above.

I have also sent a message to postmaster@, who was most unhelpful.
Basically redirected me to the 'I need help with Yahoo! mail' web page.

I /was/ going to wait until tomorrow to follow up on NANOG, but if a Yahoo!
admin is already looking at this for easydns.com, care to drop me a line for
the same reasons?  Thanks.

  - Damian