nanog mailing list archives

Re: Extreme BlackDiamond

From: "Peter E. Fry" <pfry () swbell net>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:10:49 -0500

Bradley Dunn wrote:
[...]
Adding more specifics of a /8, /16, or /24 prefix seems to
have a disproportionate impact; my guess is it has something to do with
the data structure used to store the prefixes. (If they use a 256-way
mtrie like they do for CEF, more specifics of a /8, /16, or /24 would
require creation of an additional internal node.)

  Good point.  I'd made the simple assumption that scanner spikes were
due to table churn, as when redistributing connected and/or static
routes to unstable interfaces.  It happens that most such will be...
unnaturally specific.

[...]

Peter E. Fry