nanog mailing list archives

Re: Blacklisting: obvious P2P app

From: Damian Gerow <damian () sentex net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:44:36 -0400

Thus spake David Schwartz (davids () webmaster com) [24/09/03 17:39]:
      If anyone who attempts to distribute such a list is DoSed to oblivion,
people will stop being willing to distribute such a list. Yes, spam is an
economic activity, but spammers may engage in long-term planning. You can't
keep the list of distributors secret. I'd be very interested in techiques
that overcome this problem. I've been looking into tricking existing
widely-deployed infrastructures into acting a distributors, but this raises
both ethical and technical questions.

P2P has been suggested, and while I make no comments about P2P itself...
What about Freenet?  It hides the origin of the file(s), it's truly
distributed, it's encrypted, it's authenticated, and it will do your dishes.

Okay, so it won't actually do your dishes.  But it seems to do everything
that most other people have suggested.  It's incredibly difficult to DoS a
Freenet node, and it's incredibly easy to set one up (just requires some
hefty CPU).