nanog mailing list archives

Re: 92 Byte ICMP Blocking Problem

From: Richard J.Sears <rsears () adnc com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 11:49:08 -0700

So, the choice is to go from dCEF to CEF or to not block the 92 byte
packets at all....anyone have an idea as to which is the better route to
take..?

 - Richard

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 10:59:54 -0700
"Matt Ploessel" <matt.ploessel () foundstone com> wrote:

See http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/cisco-sn-20030820-nachi.shtml

The policy-routing solutions works great in small routers (26xx, 17xx)

and in 7200s. In 7500s it seems OK *UNLESS* dCEF is enabled, then it
does what you saw. I'm assuming it's dropping 92-byte TCP packets as
well as the ICMP echoes. You can see 1-packet flows of mail getting
dropped.

Notice that the workaround cannot be used on GSRs because it causes
packets to be punted to the CPU... this is as bad a news as that it
doesn't work right on dCEF because we use GSRs or 7500s with dCEF
where the network is really busy.

- Matt Ploessel