nanog mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft XP SP2 (was Re: Lazy network operators - NOT)

From: Brian Russo <brian () entropy net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 06:27:24 -0400

At Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 06:12:16AM -0400, Chris Brenton wrote:

Key word here is "essentially". I've been involved with about a half
dozen compromises that have been true zero days. Granted that's less
than ground noise compared to what we are seeing today.

There're a lot more 0-days than that. They just tend to remain
within a smaller community (typically the ones who discover it) and are
used carefully/intelligently for compromises, often for a very long
time. Then it gets leaked by someone and released into the wild/script
kiddie community or someone else discovers it...

(more for benefit of others than a response to you)

Also, don't underestimate a person's ability to shoot themselves in the
foot. Windows 2003 server, out of the box, is technically one of the
most secure operating systems out there because it ships with no open
listening ports. Based on the auditing I've done however, it ends up
being deployed even less secure than 2000 because a lot of admins end up
doing the "turn everything on to get it working" thing. An uneducated
end user is not something you can fix with a service pack.

Agreed, and even conscientious users screw up. I did this some months
ago when installing MS SQL Server Desktop Engine from a third-party CD
(packaged with software). This was well after the whole Slammer affair,
memories fade and I didn't stop to realize they used the same
codebase.... (oops)

 - bri