nanog mailing list archives

Re: Anyone from AT&T here? (AT&T bogus DNSBL answers)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:04:54 -0400

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:45:19 PDT, just me said:

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 Michael.Dillon () radianz com wrote:

  After all, people who build DNS infrastructure intend it to be
  used to for generic DNS translations, not generic database
  lookups.

Wait. What's the difference? I must have missed something.

LDAP is on port 389. ;)

DNS is intended for "give me the A record for the hostname FOO".

LDAP is a more proper tool for "Give me the list of hosts that user
Q-Froob is allowed to post mail from on Tuesdays after 5PM".

Unfortunately, some of the anti-spam proposals look more like the
latter than the former....