nanog mailing list archives

Re: Buying and selling root certificates

From: "Alexei Roudnev" <alex () relcom net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 22:45:04 -0700

Self signed certificate protects you against any _short term_ attack -
insuregent must
maintain his own certificate, interceipt your connections, redirect my
packets _BEFORE_ I connect very first time (after it, I got certificate and
am protected).

So, it is reasonable (to use commercial certificates) for public financial
services (banks, e-commerce); all other kinds of
services do not require it - all insurgent can do is to fraud you once in a
life... unrealistic scenario.

Certificate Authorities are a very good example of _blown up_ business.
(Yes, they verify identity... what the difference, if you maintain 1 or 100
domains under the same company name and same basic level domains...
Certificate should cost 20% for 1 year, not 400$).

Do not overestimate importance of it...  it is more for the public
relations, not for the real security.
(but I never propose any bank, any point of sale, any e-commerce to use
self-signed certificate for _public_ service...
 even if risk is 0.000001%)..