nanog mailing list archives

RE: BGP-based blackholing/hijacking patented in Australia?

From: "Neil J. McRae" <neil () DOMINO ORG>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:18:57 +0100

I like point 13 where you highlight how the system is doesn't
work. In anycase I doubt that this patent is any more valid
outside of the blackholing part and I hope this gets stuck
in some lengthy patent legal argument preventing anyone
from using it! :-) Why not ask the banks to be
responsible net users and protect their customers properly
with Token based authentication. Banks in Switzerland have
done this successfully.

Regards,
Neil.

Just to ease peoples concerns, the patent has nothing to do
with blackholing.  A brief description of the way it works
can be found here:

http://www.scamslam.com/ScamSlam/whatis.shtml

We have not disclosed the site address to the "public" at
this stage, the text of the site is only draft form for the
purposes of editing and needs to be "polished".  Perhaps the
article wasn't as articulate in conveying this, but I'm sure
you appreciate journalists sometimes don't get it right :)