nanog mailing list archives

RE: New Computer? Six Steps to Safer Surfing

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () mci com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 06:22:17 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, Scott Morris wrote:

So when the majority of people begin using a different operating system, is
there some reason that the majority of virus-writers or other malcontents
wouldn't focus on the flaws there?

Or are we stuck in this little bubble thinking that unix REALLY is THAT
secure?

Perhaps it is, but my viewpoint is that it's really shortsighted to make
this assumption.  Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean that it
can't.  Wolves go where the sheep are plentiful and less protected.  As they

it has happened:
iis/sadmin worm 2001-may
apache-scalper worm
l10n worm
morris-sendmail-extravaganza
current-ssh-exploit-fun

there are others of course... it's not the OS that matters in the long
run, it's the administration of that OS (or so it seems to me, admittedly
not a sysadmin though, anymore). Sure, initial/default installs might be
problematic in one/all OS's, but by and large extended lifetimes on a
live/hostile network means patches must be applied. Seems like that
doesn't happen by and large.

-Chris