nanog mailing list archives

Nachi (was Re: New IPv4 Allocation to ARIN)

From: Michael Lewinski <mike () rockynet com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:36:16 -0700

On Jan 16, 2004, at 3:31 PM, jlewis () lewis org wrote:

It's those dang Nachi-sized ICMP echo/echo-replies. We block those at all
our transit points and dial-up ports.  Nachi was killing our cisco
access-servers until we did this to stop the spread.

FYI, Nachi is basically dead now from what I can tell. It was timed to expire in January of this year, and our flowscan graphs bear this out. Prior to it's self-destruction, Nachi traffic comprised about half of all our incoming flows. ICMP is back to pre-Nachi levels here now, and I have heard similiar reports elsewhere.