nanog mailing list archives

"it appears a beaver picked it up and chewed it in half"

From: "Scot Bryhan" <dsbryhan () chartermi net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 00:38:50 -0400

Scot,

  Here's what we received from the Assocaited Press.

--
Kendall P. Stanley
Managing editor

By JOHN FLESHER
Associated Press Writer
    TRAVERSE CITY, Mich.  _ Northeastern Michigan had a problem to chew
on:
Long-distance phone service was interrupted for more than six hours after
beaver apparently gnawed through a fiber optic cable.

"In my 33 years with the company I've never heard of this happening," said
John VanWyck, spokesman for Verizon Communications. "I've heard of
squirrels
chewing aerial cable, but not this."

The outage began shortly after 8 a.m. Thursday [July 1st]. Service was
completely
restored by 2:35 p.m. Some 62,000 customers were affected, including
long-distance, dial-up Internet and some cellular phone services, as well
as
credit card and ATM machines.

"This has had a huge impact on our business," Doug Morrison, owner of a
grocery store in Hillman, told The Alpena News. "Seventy percent of our
business pays by credit card. Because of this stupid thing, our machines
won't work. We've had a lot of customers leave $100 in groceries because
they couldn't pay for them."

The affected area extended from Roscommon County north to Gaylord and east
to Alpena and Rogers City, VanWyck said.

It took crews a while to locate the source of the problem because the
cable
was stretched across a wetland area north of Houghton Lake, near the
headwaters of the Muskegon River, he said.

The state Department of Natural Resources had lowered the water level in
the
wetland by several feet because of heavy rain in recent months, VanWyck
said. The wetland drains into the lake and the river.

"The lower water levels exposed the fiber optic cable," VanWyck said.
"From
all indications, it appears a beaver picked it up and chewed it in half.
By
the looks of the ends of the cable, it was obviously chewed."

The outage was ill-timed for businesses in the area, particularly motels
taking reservations for the Fourth of July weekend.

"It wasn't as bad as it could have been, because we were able to get some
incoming calls for some reason," said Tom Zamoyski, general manager of
Best
Western Alpine Lodge in Gaylord. "But we couldn't call any of our
customers
or suppliers, and we couldn't use e-mail. We had a lot of guests in house
and they were frustrated that they couldn't call out."

Emergency dispatch centers in Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency and Presque Isle
counties maintained radio contact until long distance service was
restored,
said Bruce Wozniak, 911 emergency services coordinator for Alpena County.