nanog mailing list archives

Re: Spyware becomes increasingly malicious

From: "Gregh" <chows () ozemail com au>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:43:01 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michel Py" <michel () arneill-py sacramento ca us>
To: "Sean Donelan" <sean () donelan com>; <nanog () merit edu>
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 1:24 PM
Subject: RE: Spyware becomes increasingly malicious

Indeed. Lately, I have not been able to clean a very annoying piece of
crud named "CoolWebSearch".

Look I am not attempting to be flippant but do yourself a favour and
download HiJackThis and check out the registry entries that show up. It is
quite obvious how to remove it the moment you do that. As I said in my last
letter, it is all of 10 minutes' work if that. I cant even remember what the
damned registry entries were, now but it all comes in via SmilyeyCentral
(possibly other progs) so anyone annoyed by CoolWebSearch has to block
installation of that program.

Greg.