nanog mailing list archives

Re: Unplugging spamming PCs

From: Henry Linneweh <hrlinneweh () sbcglobal net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 07:54:18 -0700 (PDT)

That sentence is A joke 15000 subscribers affected

Court Convicts Obscene Text Messager

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=IPQ4NZVA4P24ACRBAELCFEY?type=technologyNews&storyID=5504916

--- Michael.Dillon () radianz com wrote:

And again, much of this comes down to enforcement.
When was the last
time you heard of a spammer's domain being pulled?
How about the last
time you saw a spammer be even remotely bothered
by having their
domain pulled? Do you think they'll really care
less about losing a
mail server when they've got another dozen lined
up ready and waiting?

Well, just a couple of days ago I read about a
Russian court in
Chelyabinsk that sentenced a spammer to two years in
prison. It's
the first conviction under a Russian law that
forbids the use
of malicious software and the court felt that the
spamming scripts
used by this guy were malicious software.

What he did was to send text messages to mobile
phone
subscribers of a single company by means of a web
gateway.
I think the main reason he was put on trial was
because the
mobile operator whose customers were getting the
spam and
whose gateway was being misused, went to the police
and
complained. How many ISPs in the USA go to the
police and
register official complaints about spammers? We have
lots
of smart people who can track down and identify
spammers
but it does no good unless the companies who suffer
damage
register an official police complaint.

--Michael Dillon