nanog mailing list archives

Re: Redirecting mail (Re: Throttling mail)

From: Adi Linden <adil () adis on ca>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:51:13 -0600 (CST)

On the other hand, it's probably more effective to find some way of making the
Cisco gear block outbound 25 from abusive machines.  Transparently redirecting
the traffic is evil unless you plan to take all responsibility for relaying the
mail (including mail that has MAIL FROM/RCPT TO that you may not wish to
relay).

Right now I am blocking all network access for ip addresses I receive
believeable abuse reports for. The big problem is that it is a manual
process that does not start until a PC has already sent a massive amount
of abusive mail. After all, it does take time to read and act upon abuse
reports. By forcing smtp through a specific server at least some proactive
measures are possible such as throttling abusive behaviour.

Adi