nanog mailing list archives

Re: Load Balancing Multiple DS3s (outgoing) on a 7500

From: joe mcguckin <joe () via net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 20:24:33 -0800

Patrick,

I suspect that each FE goes to a different AS...

On 3/12/04 7:27 PM, "Patrick W.Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net> wrote:

On Mar 12, 2004, at 10:39 PM, Drew Weaver wrote:

            Does anyone know of an article, or documentation regarding
load balancing the traffic on 3 or more FastEthernet interfaces on the
outgoing direction? Right now we're running BGP internally, and the
routes that are being chosen based upon the final BGP decision step or
what I like to call the 'IP address tie breaker' which is not always
optimal. We have a cisco 7500 that is connected to 4 other Cisco 7500s
which each have 45Mbps ds3s to the Internet, we would like to load
balance the outgoing traffic across all 4 of these 7500s, can anyone
shine any advice my way? I noticed that there are instructions on
Cisco's site regarding doing LB on 12000s.

Load balancing with BGP is the same on any cisco router.

Are you doing BGP with the routers on the other side of those DS3s?  If
you are, you will need their help in load balancing properly.  Get them
to allow you peering with a loopback interface and use equal cost
static routes to do the load balancing to that loopback interface.