nanog mailing list archives

RE: who offers cheap (personal) 1U colo?

From: Curtis Maurand <curtis () maurand com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:09:18 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Andrew Dorsett wrote:

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Vivien M. wrote:
Yes I am... I am referring to a system which an unmentionable university
has in place.  It requires the user to enter their username and password
each time the link state changes before they are allowed outside of the
local lan.  This is also similar to the new port
authentication system on the Extreme Networks switches.  It automatically
delves out an address to the user so they can access a login portal and
then it reissues them a legitimate address once they have been
authenticated.  This is a pretty slick setup for mobile users who connect
in temporarily to public portals but it makes little sense in a fixed
network environment of a dorm room or office.

Its the same type of system used for hotspots.

Curtis
--
Curtis Maurand
mailto:curtis () maurand com