nanog mailing list archives

Re: Stateful Ethernet Bridging and it's effect on overall Internet topology.

From: "Gregory Taylor" <greg () xwb com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:51:43 -0600

I agree, however there are some implementations of this type of bridging that 'routing' would not be a good substitute
for.  Say mangling traffic going outbound for compression purposes (A La Redline (Yes I know redline does proxying and
not bridging)).  I guess my best question would be, is there a solution to the problem.  Maybe a possible way of
bridging the traffic without polluting the world with unnecessary broadcasts of MAC addresses and over-head ethernet
frames.  (Is there a way to strip that garbage from the outbound traffic generated by the bridge).

Greg

From: "Wayne E. Bouchard" <web () typo org>
Date:  Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:49:38 -0700

This goes back to traditional bridging issues.

The problems include:

loops and ineffective or broken STP implementations

arp and broadcast storms

mac address collisions

which version of bridging to use and their associated advantages and
disatvantages.

I can't see that adding the capacity to do traffic shaping or
filtering changes any of these issues. It just adds to the complexity.
It still holds that, generally speaking, if you can route instead of
bridging, it's a better option.