nanog mailing list archives

Re: NetAdmin + sales on NANOG like places.

From: "Jeff Shultz" <jeffshultz () wvi com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:19:54 -0800

** Reply to message from Gerald <gcoon () inch com> on Wed, 17 Mar 2004
14:22:25 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Jonathan M. Slivko wrote:

<SNIP INTRO & SALES BLURB>

I look forward to talking to you soon.

Jonathan M. Slivko             jslivko () invisiblehand net
Sales/Network Operations       Invisible Hand Networks, Inc.

I am currently doing a little of both sales/network admin at my company
which competes directly with Jonathan's in the NYC market. I have some ?s
about (network admins + sales people) for nanog folk:

- As much as I sympathize with JS's desire to get his company name
and information out, is this kind of E-mail encouraged/discouraged on
NANOG? (AUP: "Blatant product marketing is unacceptable." Does this fit?)

Would NANOG as a group agree (I know...you can laugh now.) that requests
made here for suggestions are more often looking for technical people that
have purchased from a company than a slightly biased sales pitch from the
company you work for?

I'm not an anti-capitalist, but I do like to attempt to keep the SNR down
and if companies force sales hats to the networking staff this will become
much more prevalent. Jonathan this isn't intended to offend you either, so
I hope you don't take it that way.

Not that I'm any sort of PTB here (or pretty much anywhere), but I
would prefer that sales pitches of the type referenced be taken off
list.

So if we're polling & trolling, that's my opinion.

--
Jeff Shultz
Loose nut behind the wheel.