nanog mailing list archives

Re: What HTTP exploit?

From: "Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr." <LarrySheldon () cox net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 10:34:23 -0500

Vinny Abello wrote:

At 11:07 AM 5/31/2004, Mike Nice wrote:

>It seems to be another stupid Microsoft Exploit that just
>causes annoyance for Unix Boxes.
>The only side effect is they fill my dmesg logs with
>signal 11's from apache crashing.

   Am I the only one that sees the irony that Apache seg faults from an
attack aimed at Msoft?!

I mentioned that too to the original poster, but they didn't seem that concerned since Apache respawns itself. I thought if it can be crashed by cramming too much info into a buffer before it's truncated, that's considered a buffer overflow. I'm no programmer and may be off base here but it just struck me as odd also. You're not alone Mike. :)

I'm not sure what the background message is here--and I certainly don't
know the issues involved in handling the attack gracefully are, but it
does seem clear to me that crash-and-respawn is a better idea than
multiply-the-attacker-and-the-damage-diameter is.

--
Requiescas in pace o email

Ex turpi causa non oritur actio

http://members.cox.net/larrysheldon/