nanog mailing list archives

RE: Security of Equipment in poorly-secured locations.

From: Henry Linneweh <hrlinneweh () sbcglobal net>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 19:40:02 -0700 (PDT)

Well I work for a very large company that runs premium
data centers, while camera's are great, real security
are on those sites monitoring 24/7

It is not my intent to malign Verizon, nor any other
major provider, in my opinion critical infrastructure
equipment must be protected, while I do not believe
terrorists were involved in this particular incident,
I do believe enterprising individuals taking advantage
of the current political hysteria took equipment to
possibly set up their own high speed network, because
it was accessable.

-Henry

--- "Williams, Jeff" <jwilliams3 () tiaa-cref org> wrote:

Although a webcam is cheaper, Netbotz has a slick
rackmount camera that does
envionmentals as well.  On motion detection it snaps
5 frames off to a
central server which can be tied into a NMS.

In this particular case, the colo being open racks
(apparently), physical
security was lacking a lot.  But, just as with spam,
the measure -
counter-measure struggle goes on.  "Locks only keep
honest people out."

Jeff

'scuse the disclaimer below.