nanog mailing list archives

Re: Low latency forwarding failure detection

From: David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 08:15:16 -0800 (PST)

--- John Kristoff <jtk () northwestern edu> wrote:

  I'm cco-familiar with GLBP.  It appears to have
essentially the same
  timing knobs with the ability to actively load
balance traffic.  Is
  my assumption that some traffic will not
experience any packet loss
  if it is not using the failed path correct?  For
anyone who has used
  this, was the added complexity of this protocol
worth it?

I've used GLBP, and I was pleasantly surprised at how
well it worked.  Certain types of failures were
hitless, and non-hitless failures were still pretty
fast.  I'm not sure if it's fast enough for your
application, but I thought it was great.

=====
David Barak
-fully RFC 1925 compliant-