nanog mailing list archives

Re: who gets a /32 [Re: IPV6 renumbering painless?]

From: Jeroen Massar <jeroen () unfix org>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:14:10 +0100

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 17:52 +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
none of those three things is acceptable, not even as a compromise.

The current solution I see for this is still IPv6. Except that one moves
the complete 'Independence' problem a layer higher. Enter:

HIP: Host Identity Protocol:
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/hip-charter.html

this level of complexity seems a little high for anything to be universal.

It depends all on what one wants, either one gets a lot of routes and
thus what we currently have in IPv4 or it is done completely different,
like that. As for it not being universal, there are quite a number of
working implementation already that seem to be proven to work quite
reliable. One of the alternatives of course is something similar as
MIPv6 etc.

(let me put it this way: A6/DNAME was shot down because of complexity, and
it was simpler than this.)

Wasn't it more because a single A6 lookup could cause one (the resolver
that is ;) to have to follow a overly long chain of A6/DNAME chains,
which thus could cause maybe somewhat infinite lookups?

I rather like DNAME btw: "ip6.int DNAME ip6.arpa", which works quite
fine. A6 is fortunately not supported any more by BIND.