nanog mailing list archives

Re: Opinions of recent ITU Comments on the Management of IP Addresses

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:03:59 -0500

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:16:53 +0100, Iljitsch van Beijnum said:

not arise with respect to IPv6. I have discussed with some industry
experts my idea to reserve a block of IPv6 addresses for allocation by
authorities of  countries, that is, assigning a block to a country at
no cost, and letting the country itself  manage this kind of address in
IPv6. By assigning addresses to countries, we will enable  any
particular user to choose their preferred source of addresses: either
the countryassigned ones or the region/international-assigned ones."

Down side:  This seems to cater to those places with an incumbent telco
monopoly - if there's competition, we probably long term end up with
pretty massive deaggregation anyhow. (Imagine 3 telcos, each with their
own pipe across the border that land at different places....)

Up side: It's a lot easier to track down all the netblocks said telco
has when you decide you're fed up with their non-stellar abuse@ response.
At least we'd minimize the accidental collateral damage we see now in
IPv4 when a site that's fed up with Chinese/Korean spam blocks the whole
/8 and takes part of Australia or New Zealand with it....

What will probably actually happen - the incumbent telco will get their
prefix, and the abusive users will find ways to get an announcement of
their sub-allocation of a regional prefix anyhow (so we end up with the worst
of both worlds)...