nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fixing stuff (was Re: short Botnet list and Cashing in on DoS)

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 17:50:10 +0200

But compared to the success rate of the bot writers, the anti-bot tools
fall far behind.  Some people estimate between 10 million and 30 million

Actually, there are some fine Anti Trojan (AT) tools out there. Try out The Cleaner and BOClean.

new bots have been created this year.  That number is probably a bit low,

I'd estimate double that, but heck, I estimated there are drone armies when everybody said there is no such animal in existence... so I don't know about estimations.

Masking infections is only a partial answer.  As long as the computer is
compromised, it can be taken over again in new ways.  Going from fixing a
million PCs a year to fixing 30 million (and probably more) PCs a year,
needs to move beyond just sending complaints.

It would be a good start.

Why don't people want to fix their computers?  And even worse, why are

Want to fix their computers? Try smaller and easier.

How about updating AV software, heck - how about INSTALLING AV software?

Some say that computers demand a license, much like cars. I'm beginning to agree. It would never happen.

Sorry Grandma, you've just lost all the digital pictures of your
grandkids growing up.

Eh? What grandkids? Oh! Those yes. Dementia, sorry.

        Gadi.