nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISP Policies

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 01:17:07 -0400

Tulip Rasputin wrote:

So can you give me an example of why and when would an ISP *not* want its traffic to flow via some other AS(es). Is it a normal policy to have, and do most of the ISPs have such policies in place?

If you don't have a transit agreement and aren't sitting in the top tier peering list, you will not want traffic to flow via some other AS(es) as they may be blocking your advertisements inbound. This is really a "tier" question. Most end-node ASNs you will find do not want to provide transit traffic between their upstream ISPs (asking for trouble and bandwidth saturation) or at least make it a short-term emergency act of altruism.

You may have "dedicated" circuits or bandwidth or CIRs for certain services from YOUR ASN only. They may not accept traffic that doesn't originate in your ASN and you're wasting time to try. Part marketing, part business, part political as what transit you will support (and what transit your upstream(s) support).

In more practical terms, we have dedicated circuits for H.323 video, an IPSec link to our parent campus with the university-wide SAP/R3 traffic, another link restricted to ESNet (immediate peers only). For a commercial ISP your mileage may vary as you are, above a certain level, providing transit between different administrative domains (or ASNs, or whatever). You can do this with statics, with policy routing (or null routing), or in a local OSPF or whatever routing mechanism you have at your border.

Jeff