nanog mailing list archives

Re: Spammers Skirt IP Authentication Attempts [operational content at end]

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 09:32:40 -0400

[ Two replies in one.  Last point has operational content. ]

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 01:52:59PM +0100, Michael.Dillon () radianz com wrote:
I see that 56trf5.com is a real domain. Does this mean that
the domain name registries and DNS are now being polluted
with piles of garbage entries in the same way that Google
searches have been polluted with tons of pages full of
nothing but search keywords and ads?

Absolutely.   As one example out of thousands, there are at
least 350 domains names of the form:

        aaefelb.info
        abbbafd.info
        acdfiaj.info
        aclbkcdc.info
        adkehgi.info
        aeamdgi.info

that have been burned through by one currently-active group of spammers.
Another group has about 16,700 domains (and counting) that I'm aware of.

Note also the relationship betwen this proliferation, the zombies,
and rapidly-updating DNS -- see below.