nanog mailing list archives

Re: Tornados in Ashburn (Equinix affected)

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 21:08:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, Robert E.Seastrom wrote:
The reason that I bring this up is that I believe a report which
is posted two hours after the event and glosses over potentially
serious operational anomalies by stating that everything is cool (in
the present tense) does not serve anyone's best interests.  I
understand and accept the two hour delay from the start of the
incident, but I expect scrupulous honesty in after-action assessments,
not a marketing-driven assertion that everything is Just Fine.

I have no inside information, I haven't worked for Equinix in over three
year.

Regardless of the company, these things are always written by the
marketing/legal departments in the end.  In a sole proprietorship, one
person may do it all.  You have to learn how to read the reports.  The
fact they sent out a report is a good indication there were problems.
The fact they mentioned cooling is a good indication there were cooling
problems.  The fact they didn't mention other things (i.e. no earthquakes,
no tsunami, no volcano) is a good indication those other things weren't
an issue.  Its just how marketing/legal departments think.

Despite marketing departments, engineers know there will be failures.
A N+1 design means two faults will result in an interruption.  A N+2
design means three faults wil result in an interruption.  And so on.

I agree its frustrating when companies won't tell their paying customers
what's happening.  I'm not sure its always dishonesty, a lot of the time
the company doesn't know what's happening either.  Most companies are
honest in their reporting, as far as what they say.  But there is a lot
of "spin."