nanog mailing list archives

Re: botted hosts

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () mci com>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 03:16:29 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 15:45:01 CDT, John Dupuy said:

MODEL A: ISPs filter at the source; spam is reduced

MODEL B: ISPs filter incoming mail traffic; spam is reduced.
    ISP's increase the effectiveness of blacklists and locating dynamic

Which model really provides us with the best of both worlds: less spam yet
more freedom to innovate? I would say model A does.

However, I am not convinced of this. Please pick apart my models..

Obviously, the filtering has to be done at least at one end.  And although it
would be nice if I lived in a world where the ISP originating the mail was
filtering it, I don't live there.

where ISP could be, for instance, cable-modem-provider-C that forces their
customers through their relays and would filter outbound email?

So unless you have a *realistic* proposal to make all the spam-haven ISPs
find religion, see the light, and oust their spammers *without* the "do it or

FAUSP ?