nanog mailing list archives

Re: SORBS Identity theft alert

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () cybernothing org>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:38:37 -0700

On 04/11/05, Andrew D Kirch <trelane () trelane net> wrote:

"See more about mailbombing. Mailbombers are spammers. They just aren't
in it for the money. Or possibly they are. SORBS asks for donations to
get delisted, and also seeks donations from Subscribers. It is very
unusual for blacklists to extort money this way."

This also is a blatant mischaracterization, the AHBL relies on donations
and advertisements on the website to fund it's operational budget,
spamhaus charges for commercial
supporthttp://www.spamhaus.org/organization/funding.html .

        Charging /users/ of a dnsbl is one thing...charging listees is
        another.  Some folks here may remember that I've often been a
        supporter of *bl operators, but I absolutely cannot support this
        particular policy of SORBS.  I know Matthew has his heart in the
        right place, but he's making a big mistake there and eventually
        someone much saner than Dean Anderson will take him to task for
        it -- probably in the courts -- and that'll set a precedent
        which harms /all/ *bl operators.

        As for everything /else/ Dean accuses SORBS of...well, that's
        all utter bullshit as usual; pay him no mind, for he will be
        unable to return the favor.

--
J.D. Falk                           As a carpenter bends the seat of a chariot
<jdfalk () cybernothing org>                    I bend this frenzy round my heart.