nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS Round Robin

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 01:11:14 +0200

My theory is as follows.  The query causes the caching NS to get the two
answers but the software stores them in numerical order.  The default
for bind is to "round-robin" so it choses the first (and thus the lower
IP address) as the first value.  Since the TTL is zero, the software
then discards the data so it never gets to select the second value in
its robin robin scheme.

Does this sound plausible?

It's plausible.  I would assume this behavior without looking at the
source code, too.

Has anyone else observed this?  Is it a bug or a feature?

It's a feature.  Anything which discourages the use of TTL 0 is a
feature.