nanog mailing list archives

Re: Problems with NS*.worldnic.com

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:05:45 -0400

In message <Pine.GSO.4.58.0504261351530.6246 () sharpie argfrp us uu net>, "Christ
opher L. Morrow" writes:

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Randy Bush wrote:

lots of folk sent email to me and not the list.  most report
worldnic responding with tcp 53 and not udp.  would love to
hear confirmation on list.  can think of a number of causes,
one possible, but just a stab in the dark, would be an
intentional hack as a defense to a spoofed-ip attack.

what are some names known to be hosted on worldnic?

we had problems reported with:

www.calairmail.com
www.holidaycardwebsite.com

I did some poking around lastnight with dig and some local unix hosts that
I hadn't tried this before on and got no change to tcp :( (so no truncate
and returned results via UDP) though today I see:

morrowc@iad1-srv02:~$ dig www.holidaycardwebsite.com. @ns7.worldnic.com
;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.

and failures (which is PROBABLY my silly iptables config...)

morrowc@iad1-srv02:~$ dig www.holidaycardwebsite.com. @ns8.worldnic.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2rc1 <<>> www.holidaycardwebsite.com. @ns8.worldnic.com
;; global options:  printcmd

interesting that both servers aren't doing the same thing?

Both work for me, from two different places, one of which has v6
connectivity and one of which doesn't.

                --Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb