nanog mailing list archives

Re: zotob - blocking tcp/445

From: Daniel Golding <dgolding () burtongroup com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:15:22 -0400

On 8/15/05 4:46 PM, "Randy Bush" <randy () psg com> wrote:

I'm not nearly confident enough to decide on behalf of almost
billion other people how they should benefit from the Internet
and how not to.
thanks for that!
Indeed.  Also see
http://www.iab.org/documents/docs/2003-10-18-edge-filters.html

as i just replied to a private message from an enterprise op,

  o backbone isps can not set their customers' security policy
    - some customers want to run billyware shares over the wan
      whether we advise it or not
    - some of us host security researchers, who have a taste
      for 445 and other nasty traffic

While its not uncommon to run SMB/Windows file system drive mounts across
private WANs, doing so across the Internet, on a non-encrypted tunnel, is
the equivalent of running with scissors.

I am unaware of any enterprise security folks foolish enough to allow that.
Of course, I may be sheltered.

(as an aside - running windows file system mounts across enterprise WANs is
so common that there are WAN optimization devices that improve remote disk
mount performance via protocol spoofing)

- Dan

  o enterprise / site ops can set their users' security policies
    as that's part of their job and charter

randy