nanog mailing list archives

BTW, have I mentioned my "perfect storm hypothesis"?

From: David Meyer <dmm () 1-4-5 net>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:40:31 -0800

        Long story short (excerpt from an email I sent to Tony
        Bates and Larry Lang):

---
        In our discussion yesterday on the Service Exchange
        Architecture (SEA) list, I mentioned a kind of a
        "Telecommunications Perfect Storm" (TPS) that we should
        at least be considering as a hedge against our current
        strategy.

        Recall that my perfect storm scenario was something like:

        (i).    Someone, say google (or ebay/skype), learns how
                to run a profitable, low margin packet carriage
                business. Remember that the "hypothesis" is that
                packet carriage will always be a low margin
                business as a direct consequence of the end-to-end
                principle. Add to this the fiber (some say
                bandwidth) glut, and you can see scenarios under
                which there is a non-zero (or even significant)
                probability of this outcome.

        (ii).   The access monopolies are somehow broken (say, by
                a technology like WiMAX), and finally,

        (iii).  You get a set of peer-to-peer (p2p) applications
                that attack the incumbent revenue stream
                (starting with voice, but including presence, IM,
                video, ..).

        How many of these are in place today? Well, clearly google
        is building out, so there is potential for (i). to occur
        any day now. Likewise (ii) (linksys gear with 4 tunable
        radios, North-South WiMAX, east west 802.11bag, and
        you're there). Finally, (iii). has an existence proof
        that has all but wiped out the recording industry, plus
        gtalk, skype, vonage, ... So is the telco industry far
        behind?

---

        As you might imagine, in a "complexity rich" environment
        you find at most vendors these days, its a hard sell
        (hence the "hedge" mumbo-jumbo). All that being said, I
        have had a bit of success pushing the "simplicity"
        agenda. But its an uphill battle (again, as you might
        imagine).

        Dave