nanog mailing list archives

Re: Rapidly-variable routing on the time scale of seconds to minutes?

From: James <haesu () towardex com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:08:39 -0500

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 09:59:39PM -0500, Charles Shen wrote:
[ snip ]

From the responses, the answer to "the rapidly-variable routing on the time
scale of seconds to minutes" seems to be:

1. It could be link layer load balancing, with the two interfaces belonging
to the same router.
2. It could be per-flow load balancing where flows are defined via both L3
and L4 info, so traceroute probe could not reflect the truth.

My question is then: would it be safe to argue that the above two causes
explain all (or most of?) the observed "fluttering" routers? (some examples
listed below)  What we are concerned about is per-packet load balancing
(packets in the same flow go through different paths), which will cause
trouble to protocols that install state information in routers along the
flow path.

AFAIK, multiple routers showing up in a single-hop in traceroute response is
a sign of packet-by-packet load balancing, not flow based.

I could be wrong, though this was my past observation.

P.S.: What router-interacting applications are you using?

-J

--
James Jun                                            TowardEX Technologies, Inc.
Technical Lead                      Boston IPv4/IPv6 Web Hosting, Colocation and