nanog mailing list archives

Re: The entire mechanism is Wrong!

From: Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 11:36:43 -0600

Once upon a time, Perry E. Metzger <perry () piermont com> said:
If people like Melbourne IT are going to claim they can't act on
weekends, it might also be sensible not to allow transfers to be
processed between Thursday and Sunday, though honestly I think if you
are going to be a registrar, you are going to have to deal with
problems over weekends.

We're a relatively small ISP compared to many on NANOG, but we have a
24x7 on-call system with an answering service.  All domain registrars
should be required to have 24x7 service.

The GTLD (and other TLD) servers have a 2 day TTL on all records; if
panix.com was fixed right now it would be Tuesday before everyone saw
it.  How hard would it be for Verisign (and other registries) to have
the TTL "ramp up" after a change?  In other words, when the NS records
for domain.com get changed (but not after an initial registration), put
them in the .com zone initially with a short TTL, maybe 6 hours, and
then after 2 days move the TTL up to 12 hours, after another 2 days move
it to 24 hours, and then after a week total move it to 2 days.  How much
more load would that really cause?  Especially with the "streamlined"
transfer procedure now in place, this would be a very good idea.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>