nanog mailing list archives

RE: ISP phishing

From: "Hannigan, Martin" <hannigan () verisign com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 12:57:45 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu]On Behalf Of
Brad Knowles
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 12:48 PM
To: Peter Corlett
Cc: nanog () nanog org
Subject: Re: ISP phishing

At 12:20 PM +0000 2005-06-29, Peter Corlett wrote:

 Sure Alice has control. Last week, I told my ISP where to
stick their
 shoddy service and took my business elsewhere.

      You're assuming that there are always alternatives
available for
the entire world population.  While there may usually be alternatives
available in the most advanced western societies, you would be
surprised at the types of places where you would think that there
have to be alternatives, but in fact there aren't any.

It also assumes that there are real differences in the alternatives
in civilized society. In fact, you can only spell "HTTP" so many
ways. There are less discernable differences these days.

you would be
surprised at the types of places where you would think that there
have to be alternatives, but in fact there aren't any.

There aren't alternatives because of the cost. In other cases the
national climate i.e. protectionist of the incumbent or desire to
hold it closely for political reasons i.e. China.

-M<