nanog mailing list archives

Re: London incidents

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:31:37 -0400

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 12:16:34PM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
      I don't know the specifics of how much capacity is reserved, but
this sort of thing has been done on telecommunications networks for a
long time.  Back before cell phones existed, you could have "flash"
traffic on the DDN or even the PSTN, and when placing a flash call
the phone system would disconnect anyone that stood in your way of
getting the connection you wanted.

      You had to be using special telephone equipment, or connected to
a special operator with the right equipment, and you had damn well
better be sure that your call was worthy of knocking anyone else off
the network, but the capability was there.  Even the President would
normally make his calls at lower than "flash" priority.

See also http://tsp.ncs.gov/ and http://wps.ncs.gov/ , as well as
http://www.disa.mil/gs/dsn/tut_mlpp.html and
http://www.disa.mil/gs/dsn/tut_precedence.html which explain those Fo,
F, I and P keys on AutoVON 16-button WECo 2500s.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
Designer                +-Internetworking------+----------+           RFC 2100

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me