nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco IOS Exploit Cover Up

From: Eric Rescorla <ekr () rtfm com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 07:03:31 -0700

James Baldwin <jbaldwin () antinode net> writes:

On Jul 28, 2005, at 3:29 AM, Neil J. McRae wrote:

I couldn't disagree more. Cisco are trying to control the
situation as best they can so that they can deploy the needed
fixes before the $scriptkiddies start having their fun. Its
no different to how any other vendor handles a exploit and
I'm surprised to see network operators having such an attitude.

That's part of the issue: this wasn't an exploit in the sense of
something a $scriptkiddie could exploit. The sheer technical
requirements of the exploit itself ensure that it will only be
reproduced by a small number of people across the globe. There was no
source or proof of concept code released and duplicating the
information would only provide you a method to increase the severity
of other potential exploits. It does not create any new exploits.
Moreover, the fix for this was already released and you have not been
able to download a vulnerable version of the software for months
however there was no indication from Cisco regarding the severity of
the required upgrade. That is to say, they knew in April that
arbitrary code execution was possible on routers, they had it fixed
by May, and we're hearing about it now and if Cisco had its way we
might still not be hearing about it.

Can you or someone else who was there or has some details describe
what the actual result is and what the fix was? Based on what I've
been reading, it sounds like Lynn's result was a method for exploiting
arbitrary new vulnerabilities. Are you saying that this method can't
be used in future IOS revs?

Thanks,
-Ekr

[Eric Rescorla                                  RTFM, Inc.]