nanog mailing list archives

Re: US slaps fine on company blocking VoIP

From: Adi Linden <adil () adis on ca>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 08:45:30 -0600

If VOIP doesn't run on your network because you've oversold your capacity,
no amount of QoS is going to put the quality back into your service.
People will find better ISPs. If you deliberately set QoS to favor your
services over a competitor, whom your customers are also paying for
service, you'll be staring down prosecutors, at some point. It's
anti-competitive behavior, as you're taking deliberate actions to degrade
the service of a competitor, simply because you can.

Let's say I sell a premium VoIP offering for an additional fee on my
network. I apply QoS to deliver my VoIP offering to my customers but as a
result all other VoIP service is literally useless during heavy use
times you'd consider this anti-competitive behavior?

Adi