nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS cache poisoning attacks -- are they real?

From: Joe Maimon <jmaimon () ttec com>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:42:55 -0500

bmanning () vacation karoshi com wrote:
On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 11:36:26AM -0500, Joe Maimon wrote:

<snip>

        er... common best practice for YOU... perhaps.
        dnsreport.com is apparently someone who agrees w/ you.
        and i know why some COMMERCIAL operators want to squeeze
        every last lira from the services they offer...
        but IMRs w/ unrestricted access are a good a valuable tool
        for the Internet community at large.

        IMR? - you know, an Interative Mode Resolver aka caching server.

Joe

--bill

Thanks for the feedback, bill and all else who have responded.

Just want to clarify -- Thats NOT my position, any resolvers (not like thats a great many big important ones like others here can attest to) I have run were not purposefully closed off from anyone (who was not being abusive).

Security is critical, but I am from the school that advocates leaving open that which

* may be usefull to others

* does not cost me {much} - cost is in terms of {money | cpu | ram | bw | mgmt | what have you}

* takes extra effort to close off

* Has no recent history of badness (insert your definition for "recent")

* Is easily verifiable (you should know real quick if your DNS cache is poisoned)

* avoids issues on how to make things work now that you have screwed it all up by denying resolving to all [insert all corner cases here] (simply as an example)

Easy to make a road, hard to make a prison.