nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS cache poisoning attacks -- are they real?

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 00:14:01 +0200

* Alex Bligh:

--On 26 March 2005 23:23 +0100 Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de> wrote:

Should we monitor for evidence of hijacks (unofficial NS and SOA
records are good indicators)?  Should we actively scan for
authoritative name servers which return unofficial data?

And what if you find them?

If leaking unofficial data were considered a capital offense (in
Internet terms), many ISPs would take action.  Apparently, it's not,
so detection is pretty much pointless.

The only way you are going to prevent packet level (as opposed to
organization level) DNS hijack is get DNSSEC deployed.

DNS cache poisoning (at least in the form which prompted me to start
this thread) is a quality-of-implementation issue.  DNSSEC will not
magically increase code quality (but it will definitely increase
complexity), that's why I don't share the enthusiasm of the DNSSEC
crowed. 8->