nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCC To Require 911 for VoIP

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 13:02:12 -0400

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 12:55:16PM -0400, David Lesher wrote:
How about an anycast address implement(ed|able) by every network
provider that would return a zipcode?

$ telnet 10.255.255.254
Connected
33709
Disconnected.

is there a unique zipcode in shanghai?

And even Zip+4 plus whatever they have now added to it will
not meet Big Brother's requirement in the USA.

My issue, David, is not "where is the user exactly?", it's "which PSAP
do I route to?".  Something on the close order of a US ZIP<tm> Code is
fine for that.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me